Saturday, March 13, 2010

africa

Penny and I just returned from almost a month in South Africa. We moved into the Light House Children's Shelter in Rustenburg SA and shared an apartment with Abby and Jeff.
This trip was a combination sabbatical, mission trip and vacation. If you would like to see trip pictures check out Penny's Face Book or Jeff and Abby's web site, EngageAfrica.com.
South Africa is a land of riches and poverty and an emerging middle class. It's a country with 40% unemployment, rising inflation, 14% sales tax, has a relatively high crime, and is being ravished by the Aids pandemic.
We had a wonderful visit and accomplished so much.
We are so proud of what our Lord is doing through Jeff and Abby.

While we were in Africa Rachel had a snowboarding accident and ended a Utah trip with a broken wrist. This injury prevent her from running in the Boston Marathon. We are praying for a miraculous recovery.

All is well here at 1AGBN. Our building project is right on time and the excitement is building. Our church is growing and we have had some incredible services.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Larry, I always feel like i'm poking around in someone's house in their absence whenever I read blogs. It just feels sneaky to me, it not wrong, people want me to read it and maybe even enjoy it.

I have to say that you cannot even imagine how much I hate the fact that I have let us drift apart. I read these words of yours and see how God has continued to bless you in everything(except hair). I have never forgotten your friendship to me. The Spirit within has reminded me often of you, your family & ministry. I hope that some day soon I may travel to Ill to visit.

That said...

What a beautiful Spring we are having. Flowers in bloom, birds sing their love songs, buds swelling, even the grass is beginning to grow. I hope it is not a false Spring, how devastating would that be?

God continues His work in me; why am I so stubborn and unyeilding at times. I will not weary you now with this story, when we meet I can regale you.

With this good weather I have begun some outside jobs, some that you would enjoy. The best one involves a chain saw and a good sized wood chipper. Lots of noise but also lots of fun and no one to share it with. Friday my brother and his oldest son will come, some headway will be made then.

Keep up the good work Larry